Johor mulls water bill rebate after Sungai Johor pollution affects over one million residents, says state exco
- Admin UKK
- Berita
JOHOR BAHRU, Nov 5 — The Johor state government is considering granting a water bill rebate following the water supply disruption caused by the pollution of Sungai Johor, which has affected 292,158 user accounts or nearly 1.168 million residents in four districts.
State Works, Transport, Infrastructure and Communication Committee chairman Mohamad Fazli Mohamad Salleh said the decision regarding the matter is expected to be announced during the Johor State Legislative Assembly sitting on November 13.
“The state government is considering (the rebate); wait for the announcement,” he said during a press conference here today when asked whether the state government is considering rebates for affected consumers in Kota Tinggi, Kulai, Pontian, and Johor Bahru, including Gelang Patah.
Mohamad Fazli said water supply is expected to be fully restored by midnight tonight, with only 2,472 user accounts still affected in Taman Impian Emas, Taman Bukit Impian, and Taman Anggerik Emas here.
Meanwhile, he said Sungai Johor will be gazetted as a water source priority area to preserve the water quality and ensure that the worst pollution in the state’s water supply history does not recur.
He said a committee will be established to provide feedback and recommendations to the state government on the move, and all developments along and around Sungai Johor will be identified.
“If gazetted, development activities, including sand mining, will be controlled,” he said adding that efforts to preserve the river must be enhanced, as it supplies water to nearly two million users in Johor.
At the same time, Mohamad Fazli said the raw water turbidity level at the Sungai Johor Basin has gone down to 500 Nephelometric Turbidity Unit (NTU), close to the normal level of 400 NTU, compared with 37,400 NTU recorded during the incident on Friday.
He pointed out that the last pollution incident in 2019 at the upper reaches of Sungai Sayong, within the Sungai Johor area, caused by chicken waste, which led to the closure of the farm only resulted in a raw water turbidity level of about 5,000 NTU.
Earlier, Mohamad Fazli was reported as saying that the pollution on Friday was due to a ruptured sand-washing pond at an inland sand mining site in Kota Tinggi, which forced a temporary shutdown of the water treatment plant operations.
The incident also affected the livelihoods of more than 150 fishermen, including the Orang Asli community along the upper reaches of Sungai Johor. — Bernama
KUALA LUMPUR, 5 Nov: Jabatan Meteorologi Malaysia (MetMalaysia) mengesahkan gempa bumi lemah berlaku di Borneo pukul 6.37 petang tadi.
Menurut MetMalaysia, gegaran dengan magnitud 4.8 itu dikesan pada jarak 227 kilometer (km) dari Sapulut, Sabah pada kedalaman 10 km.
“Gegaran mungkin dirasai di Selatan Sabah. MetMalaysia akan terus memantau keadaan ini,” jelas agensi itu menerusi kenyataan media sebentar tadi. – TVS.
KOTA KINABALU: A light earthquake measuring 4.8 on the Richter scale struck the Borneo region at 6.37pm on Wednesday (Nov 5), with mild tremors reportedly felt in Tawau in southeastern Sabah.
The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia) said the quake was detected at coordinates 2.7°N and 116.6°E, about 227km south of Sapulut at a depth of 10km.
Several residents in Tawau shared on Facebook that they experienced brief shaking. “Yes, I felt the tremor earlier,” wrote user Samila Ila.
Another user, Rose Ina, said, “I froze for a moment — felt the flat sway twice.” “I felt three or four short movements and stopped to check on my child,” added user Nur Hana.
Tawau Fire and Rescue station chief Jemishin Ujin said no emergency calls or reports had been received.
“The epicentre in Sapulut is about 300km from here, so it wasn’t strongly felt in Tawau. For now, we have not received any reports," he said when contacted.
No damage or injuries have been reported as of press time.
The meteorological department (MetMalaysia) said the minor quake struck at 6.37pm about 227km away from Sapulut in Sabah at a depth of 10km, Utusan Borneo reported.
“Tremors may have been felt in southern Sabah. The meteorological department will continue monitoring the situation,” MetMalaysia was quoted as saying.
The department also said there was no risk of a tsunami hitting the country following the earthquake.
Johor had been hit by several weak earthquakes since August, with the most recent, measuring 2.7 on the Richter scale, taking place in Segamat two days ago.
A 6.0 magnitude quake struck Ranau in Sabah on June 5, 2015, killing 18 people and injuring 130 others.
The state has also experienced several mild earthquakes in recent years, with Ranau struck several times, causing tremors, last year.
PETALING JAYA – Satu kejadian gempa bumi lemah dengan magnitud 4.8 direkodkan berlaku di Borneo, hari ini.
Menurut Jabatan Meteorologi (MetMalaysia), kejadian gempa itu dikesan berlaku kira-kira pukul 6.37 petang tadi.
Katanya, kedudukan pusat gempa adalah 2.5 darjah utara dan 102.8 darjah timur dengan kedalaman 10 kilometer serta 227 kilometer selatan dari Sapulut, Sabah.
Tambahnya, gegaran gempa tersebut mungkin dirasai hingga selatan Sabah dan MetMalaysia akan terus memantau keadaan tersebut. – KOSMO! ONLINE
