PORTAL RASMI
JABATAN PERDANA MENTERI
AGENSI PENGURUSAN BENCANA NEGARA

Berita

Malaysia's SMART team rescues man trapped for 3 days under rubble in Myanmar quake

KUALA LUMPUR: The Special Malaysia Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (SMART) yesterday rescued a man who had been trapped for 72 hours under rubble following the devastating earthquake in Sagaing, Myanmar.

Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi today confirmed the successful rescue undertaken by the MAS-01 team.

He said the rescuers located the survivor, believed to be in his 40s, at 2pm yesterday beneath the ruins of a residential building along the Sagaing-Ta Da U road.

"SMART detected the survivor using specialised equipment. With the cooperation of local firefighters, they managed to extract him at 2.27pm.

"He was immediately transported by ambulance to the hospital for further treatment," he said in a statement.

The earthquake has so far claimed almost 3,000 lives, with many others still trapped and reported missing.

Zahid described the discovery as "a miracle," given that the victim had been trapped for more than three days.

The rescue mission also uncovered four bodies of victims who perished in the disaster, he said.

Zahid conveyed the Malaysian government's sympathy to the families of those affected.

"On behalf of the Malaysian government, I extend my deepest condolences to the families of the victims. We pray that they find strength and resilience during this extremely difficult time."

Zahid also commended the dedication of SMART personnel, acknowledging the sacrifices they made to serve during the Aidilfitri celebrations.

"I extend my highest appreciation to the SMART team who willingly put duty before personal time with their families. This sacrifice is invaluable and reflects Malaysia's unwavering commitment to assisting the global community in times of crisis."

The government, he said, would continue monitoring the situation closely.

"The National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma), alongside relevant agencies, will ensure that all necessary aid is delivered efficiently. Malaysia remains steadfast in its commitment to assisting our neighbours in times of need," he said.

Sagaing was one of the hardest-hit areas in Myanmar, where the earthquake caused widespread destruction and loss of lives.

Rescue efforts are ongoing as teams race against time to locate more survivors.

 

Myanmar's deadly earthquake brings diplomatic payoff for junta chief

MYANMAR'S deadliest natural disaster in years has strengthened the position of ruling general Min Aung Hlaing, by opening diplomatic channels closed for four years after his junta ousted an elected government to unleash a brutal civil war.

Just before Friday's quake of magnitude 7.7 that killed almost 2,900 people, the junta chief was readying for a rare foreign visit to a regional summit in Thailand, as aides worked the phones to arrange meetings with other leaders.

It is still unclear if Min Aung Hlaing will attend the BIMSTEC grouping's summit in Bangkok this week, but the disaster has helped end his isolation by most world leaders over a war that displaced 3.5 million and decimated the economy.

"The junta knows that regional powers jostling for influence in Myanmar, like India, China, and Russia would want to use this opportunity to strengthen their own toehold in the country," said Angshuman Choudhury, an analyst based in Singapore.

"By publicly and directly engaging with regional capitals, it can demonstrate its supposed indispensability as Myanmar's primary public authority."

 

In the past week, Min Aung Hlaing has spoken with Chinese President Xi Jinping, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim - conversations that have led to a flurry of international aid.

Just weeks after the junta reaffirmed plans for a general election in December, one of the impoverished nation's strongest earthquakes in a century has opened a new window for its leader to engage with regional powers.

The junta had steadily lost ground in the conflict sparked by the 2021 coup, suffering a string of battlefield defeats and piling unprecedented pressure on Min Aung Hlaing himself.

Key allies such as China have backstopped the junta, with efforts such as pushing major anti-junta groups to stop fighting, but even Beijing had not entirely embraced the embattled general.

He did not get an audience with Xi when he visited China in November for the first time since the coup, for example.

But during a state visit to Moscow last month, Min Aung Hlaing held court with Russian leader Vladimir Putin, one of his earliest backers after the coup.

"I would think he's getting like everything he ever dreamt of and more right now," said a diplomatic source in the commercial capital of Yangon, referring to the Moscow visit, the telephone call with Modi and a meeting of the Asean grouping.

"He's back in the circle. He has a seat at the table."

However, the junta is doing what it can to benefit from the crisis and deny assistance to civilians and opposition groups, said a second diplomatic source in the country.

Millions of dollars in aid, relief supplies and hundreds of rescue workers from countries such as China, India, Russia and Southeast Asia, have flooded Myanmar since the quake, though the junta keeps up military operations despite ceasefire calls.

The junta could exploit the crisis to strengthen its position in Myanmar's battlefield, Choudhury added.

"The quake will complicate the resistance's fight and its ability to retain support from the local population."

Some regime hardliners believe the junta can continue with the help of a handful of allies, said Sihasak Phuangketkeow, a former Thai vice minister for foreign affairs who visited Myanmar last month.

"They see the world order as shifting, and that there is a new pole with China, Russia and India," Sihasak told Reuters.

"They think Myanmar may be able to thrive without other engagement."

 

If Min Aung Hlaing were to attend this week's BIMSTEC summit, he would get a further opportunity for diplomatic validation, such as more engagement with India and Thailand.

BIMSTEC, or the Bay of Bengal initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation, comprises Thailand, Myanmar, India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bhutan.

"What I got from my recent trip was that Min Aung Hlaing doesn't want to be just under China only," said Sihasak.

"It is about how we can assert our own position. We should not let this opportunity to engage Myanmar slip by."

In Bangkok, the junta chief could meet Modi, who has rushed aid and personnel to Myanmar since the quake, said three sources with knowledge of discussions.

"Modi, particularly, has already indicated that he is willing to directly engage," said Choudhury, referring to the two leaders' call.

The visit may also give Min Aung Hlaing a chance to meet Thaksin Shinawatra, the former Thai prime minister whom Anwar appointed a personal adviser in his capacity as chairman of Asean.

Some analysts say Thailand is walking a tightrope by giving legitimacy to Min Aung Hlaing as he battles the armed resistance which has eroded his grip on Myanmar.

"There's a nasty, brutal, violent civil war," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political scientist at Chulalongkorn University.

"Thailand has to be very careful because it has a long border with Myanmar and lots at stake."

* The writers are from Reuters

 

Junta Myanmar umum gencatan senjata sementara susulan gempa bumi

ISTANBUL: Junta tentera memerintah Myanmar mengumumkan gencatan senjata selama tiga minggu pada Rabu terhadap kumpulan pemberontak ekoran gempa bumi dahsyat yang meragut hampir 3,000 nyawa, lapor Anadolu Ajansi (AA).

Sebelum ini, junta menolak cadangan gencatan senjata daripada kumpulan pemberontak, yang bertujuan membolehkan operasi menyelamat dijalankan.

Dalam kenyataan yang dikeluarkan, tentera Myanmar berkata bahawa gencatan senjata yang akan berkuat kuasa sehingga 22 April itu bertujuan untuk memudahkan usaha bantuan selepas bencana.

Pengumuman dibuat selepas laporan mengenai serangan terhadap konvoi bantuan Palang Merah China pada malam Selasa ketika kempen serangan udara terhadap kumpulan pemberontak.

Junta yang merampas kuasa pada 2021 turut memberi amaran kepada kumpulan itu supaya tidak melakukan sebarang gangguan.

Pengisytiharan gencatan senjata itu dibuat menjelang lawatan ketua junta, Min Aung Hlaing, ke Bangkok, Thailand bagi menghadiri sidang kemuncak serantau.

Menurut Kementerian Luar Thailand, Min Aung Hlaing dijadual menghadiri Sidang Kemuncak Inisiatif Teluk Benggala bagi Kerjasama Teknikal dan Ekonomi Pelbagai Sektor (BIMSTEC) di Bangkok.

Lawatan itu adalah kunjungan pertamanya ke Bangkok sejak rampasan kuasa pada 2021 dan pada awalnya dijangka dibatalkan selepas Myanmar dilanda dua gempa bumi berukuran 7.7 dan 6.4 pada skala Richter pada Jumaat lalu.

Berdasarkan maklumat dari Majlis Pentadbiran Negara Myanmar, jumlah kematian akibat bencana itu telah meningkat kepada hampi 3,000 orang, dengan 4,639 lagi cedera dan 373 masih hilang.

Jurucakap Kementerian Luar Thailand Nikorndej Balankura dipetik Thai PBS sebagai berkata, 'Lawatan Min Aung Hlaing ke Sidang Kemuncak BIMSTEC keenam pada 4 April akan diteruskan'.

Bagaimanapun, tempoh keberadaan pemimpin junta itu di Bangkok tidak dinyatakan.

Sidang Kemuncak BIMSTEC yang berlangsung dari Rabu hingga Jumaat menghimpunkan tujuh negara anggota iaitu Thailand, Myanmar, India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka dan Bhutan.

 

SMART berjaya keluarkan tujuh mangsa di Myanmar termasuk seorang lelaki masih hidup

KUALA LUMPUR, 2 April- Pasukan Mencari dan Menyelamat Khas Malaysia (SMART) berjaya mengeluarkan tujuh mangsa termasuk seorang yang masih hidup di bawah runtuhan gempa bumi di daerah Sagaing, Myanmar setakat ini.

Agensi Pengurusan Bencana Negara (NADMA) dalam satu kenyataan memaklumkan, mangsa meninggal dunia terdiri daripada tiga lelaki dan tiga perempuan berusia lingkungan lapan hingga 56 tahun, manakala mangsa yang hidup ialah seorang lelaki berusia 40 tahun.

"Pada hari ketiga operasi mencari dan menyelamat (SAR) hari ini, dua tempat kerja telah dilakukan tinjauan dan kerja menyelamat iaitu di Mozar Quater, Sagaing dan Paramic Monastery.

"Tempat kerja mula berbau mayat dan peratusan menyelamat mangsa hidup berkurangan," menurut kenyataan itu.

Kesemua 50 pegawai dan anggota SMART dalam keadaan baik dari aspek kesihatan, makan minum dan kebajikan namun seorang daripada anggota pasukan mengalami kecederaan ringan.

"Cuaca semakin panas dan pasukan dinasihati minum air secukupnya, selain mengambil vitamin. Hal ini bagi mengelakkan anggota pasukan mengalami strok haba akibat suhu panas yang boleh mengakibatkan mereka mengalami batuk berterusan serta hilang tumpuan.

"Tempoh bencana telah melepasi tempoh kritikal 72 jam. Berdasarkan garis panduan Kumpulan Penasihat SAR Antarabangsa dan situasi semasa, pelan demobilisasi MAS-01 (SMART) akan mula dirancang dan dilaksana selaras dengan persetujuan pihak berkaitan terutama Pihak Berkuasa Pengurusan Bencana Tempatan (LEMA)," tambah kenyataan itu.

Morale still high among SMART members in quake-hit Myanmar

KUALA LUMPUR: The mental health of the Special Malaysia Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (SMART) members is in good shape after landing in quake-hit Myanmar on March 30.

The team has been diligently conducting search and rescue operations beginning on March 31, on Hari Raya Aidilfitri, and has since recovered at least four bodies buried under the rubble of buildings.

The 50-member team is expected to spend seven to 14 days in Myanmar for this mission.

"The entire team is healthy and in good spirits to help and find victims that are still buried. They are a highly-trained team, both physically and mentally," National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma) Director-General Datuk Khairul Shahril Idrus told the New Straits Times.

The team performed brief Aidilfitri prayers in the morning before heading out to the site at 8.30am on March 31.

Despite some concerns that the military junta governing Myanmar would disrupt search and rescue operations, Khairul said that the operations were going smoothly as planned.

"Rescue operations are carried out together with the junta and the Myanmar security team which consistently ensures safety. Every day, the Smart team will discuss with the local authorities to determine the operation sites," he said.

On March 28, a 7.7 magnitude earthquake hit Myanmar with Mandalay, Bago, Magway, northeastern Shan State, Sagaing, and Naypyidaw being among the worst-affected areas. It also affected northern Thailand and parts of southern China.

Malaysia has pledged RM10 million in humanitarian aid for Myanmar.

 

Penafian
Kerajaan Malaysia dan Agensi Pengurusan Bencana Negara (NADMA) tidak bertanggungjawab di atas kehilangan atau kerosakan disebabkan penggunaan mana-mana maklumat yang diperolehi daripada laman web ini.
Hubungi Kami
Agensi Pengurusan Bencana Negara (NADMA),
Jabatan Perdana Menteri,
Aras B1, 6 dan 7, Setia Perkasa 5,
Kompleks Setia Perkasa,
Pusat Pentadbiran Kerajaan Persekutuan,
62502 WP Putrajaya

T: +603 8870 4800
F: +603 8870 4848
E: admin@nadma.gov.my
G: 2.937323, 101.704762
Statistik Pengunjung

Search