KUCHING (Feb 2): Kuching South Mayor Dato Wee Hong Seng’s recent response to public complaints about a collapsed stretch of drain at Lorong Rock 1 here did not address the core issue, said Michael Kong.
The special assistant to Stampin MP Chong Chieng Jen said the mayor’s clarification seemed like an attempt to hide behind timelines and procedures.
Kong said the Kuching South City Council (MBKS) claimed that on-site inspections were conducted on Nov 8 and 11 last year, but questioned why no action was taken before the collapse.
“Had MBKS acted when members of the public lodged reports about the deteriorating condition of the drain, the situation could have been rectified earlier, more efficiently, and at a far lower cost.
“Instead, inaction allowed the problem to worsen until it resulted in an actual collapse,” he said in a statement.
Kong said what is more concerning is that MBKS is now saying a tender will only be called on Feb 16.
He pointed out that the deteriorated condition was identified in November last year, yet more than two months later the matter is still only at the tender stage.
“This is unacceptable for a case involving a collapsed drain, visible underground soil erosion, and the risk posed to nearby infrastructure and public safety,” he said.
In such situations, he stressed, authorities cannot continue to hide behind “procedures” as an excuse for prolonged delays.
“Procedures exist to ensure accountability, not to paralyse urgent action,” he said, adding that when public safety is at stake, emergency remedial works should take precedence, even while longer-term processes are being completed in parallel.
Given this, he said the mayor’s remark that there is no need to constantly report on the pretext that Kong does not pay his salary “is deeply arrogant and misplaced”.
Kong said the public has every right to raise issues repeatedly when nothing is being done.
“As the Mayor, he is answerable to all residents who pay assessment rates, parking fees and other charges to MBKS. These contributions are made with the expectation that basic infrastructure will be maintained promptly and responsibly.
“MBKS must stop reacting only after failures occur. Preventive action is always cheaper, faster and safer than crisis management after a collapse,” he added.
On Sunday, Wee denied allegations that MBKS ignored public complaints about the collapsed drain, saying the claims did not reflect the actual sequence of events or the council’s efforts.
He said this in response to Kong’s earlier statement alleging that MBKS had disregarded long-standing complaints about cracks along the drain and implied that action was only taken after conditions worsened.
Slope repair on Jalan Lojing–Gua Musang to begin in March, Works minister says JKR in charge
- Admin UKK
- Berita
GUA MUSANG, Feb 2 — Work to repair the slope along route FT185, Section 107.6, Jalan Lojing-Gua Musang here is expected to begin in March, said Works Minister Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi.
He said they would initially construct a temporary road diversion so that the route could be reopened to motorists.
“The Slope Engineering Branch of the Public Works Department (JKR), as the project director, would be given the responsibility of planning, managing and supervising the slope’s maintenance work.
“The long-term contract for the implementation of maintenance work for this slope reflects the Madani government’s concern and commitment to continue improving the quality of road infrastructure, including slopes, for the comfort and safety of road users,” he said.
He told reporters this after surveying the sites of packages 3B and 3C of the Lingkaran Tengah Utama (LTU) project here today, which was also attended by Kelantan JKR director Nik Badlihisham Nik Ismail.
The route had to be fully closed to all types of vehicles due to a landslide on December 3 last year.
In another development, Nanta said the government has also allocated RM96 million to upgrade the East-West Highway (JRTB), involving the section in Kelantan.
He also said that preliminary work for the project could commence this year, and hoped that some of it could be physically implemented next year. — Bernama
GUA MUSANG – Kerja pembinaan kawasan cerun atau tebing bukit di Kilometer (KM) 45, Jalan Gua Musang-Lojing yang runtuh pada awal Disember lalu dijalankan bermula bulan depan.
Menteri Kerja Raya, Datuk Seri Alexander Nanta Linggi berkata, pihaknya memahami kesulitan yang perlu dihadapi oleh pengguna jalan dan penduduk sekitar akibat penutupan laluan itu.
Katanya, Kementerian Kerja Raya (KKR) memberi kelulusan kepada Cawangan Kejuruteraan Cerun (CKC) dan Jabatan Kerja Raya (JKR) pada 30 Januari lalu bagi melaksanakan segera kerja pembaikan lokasi runtuhan secara Arahan Kerja (AK) yang akan dilaksanakan oleh pihak kontraktor.
“Syarikat Pintas Utama Sdn. Bhd. iaitu kontraktor jangka panjang yang dilantik bagi membantu kerajaan melaksanakan kerja-kerja pembaikan cerun berdasarkan keperluan dan kelulusan oleh KKR.
“Kerja-kerja awalan melibatkan penyiasatan tapak, ukur tanah dan reka bentuk terperinci akan dimulakan segera. Kerja-kerja pembinaan pula dijangka dimulakan pada awal Mac ini dengan pembinaan (lencongan sementara) agar laluan itu dapat dibuka semula kepada pengguna jalan,” katanya semasa mengadakan Lawatan Kerja Rasmi Ke Tapak Projek Lingkaran Tengah Utama (LTU) Pakej 3B dan 3C di sini hari ini.
Mengulas lanjut, Alexander memberitahu, CKC selaku Pengarah Projek dipertanggungjawabkan untuk merancang, mengurus dan menyelia kerja-kerja penyelenggaraan cerun terbabit.
Kosmo! sebelum ini melaporkan, pergerakan air bawah tanah dipercayai menjadi punca berlakunya runtuhan jalan di KM 45 Jalan Gua Musang-Lojing, berhampiran Pos Blau di sini pada 3 Disember lalu.
KLUANG: Kira-kira 35 peratus daripada keseluruhan kawasan kebakaran seluas sembilan hektar melibatkan ladang kelapa sawit dan ladang nanas di Ladang Peninsular Plantation Sdn. Bhd., Simpang Renggam di sini telah berjaya dikawal setakat pukul 11.30 pagi tadi.
Ketua Zon 3 Jabatan Bomba dan Penyelamat Malaysia (JBPM) Johor, Penguasa Kanan Bomba II, Siti Hajar Sanusi berkata, kerja-kerja pemadaman kebakaran sedang dijalankan dengan kekuatan seramai 28 anggota bomba.
Menurutnya, usaha tersebut turut dibantu anggota pelbagai agensi termasuklah dari Majlis Perbandaran Kluang (MPK) dan Majlis Daerah Simpang Renggam (MDSR) serta pekerja ladang.
“Sebuah jentera beserta lima tangki air digunakan di lokasi dengan kerja pemadaman dibuat secara tompokan sejak kelmarin dan masih diteruskan sehingga hari ini. Selain itu sembilan unit pemadam api jenis GS Mark II telah dipasang dan beroperasi 24 jam.
“Manakala operasi pemadaman api secara fizikal akan diteruskan anggota bomba terlibat,” katanya dalam kenyataan hari ini.
Tambah Siti Hajar, pihaknya bagaimanapun berdepan beberapa cabaran termasuklah kekurangan sumber air di lokasi serta keadaan cuaca semasa.
“Kebakaran ini melibatkan tanah gambut di kawasan ladang nanas dan kelapa sawit dimana akses terhadap bekalan air adalah kurang, cuaca panas dan berangin juga menyukarkan operasi dijalankan.
“Anggota bertindak melakukan kaedah ‘fire break’ dimana ia telah siap digali pada jarak 350 meter daripada sasaran 500 meter, kita jangka ia akan siap dilaksana sepenuh hari ini,” ujarnya lagi.
Bagaimanapun, Siti Hajar turut mengakui risiko kebakaran merebak masih wujud sekiranya keadaan kering berterusan.
Kebakaran tanah gambut di Simpang Renggam itu melibatkan kawasan ladang nanas seluas kira-kira 4.85 hektar manakala selebihnya adalah kawasan ladang sawit. – UTUSAN
Jamawi: DID to expedite compensation negotiations for Calvary Charismatic Church Tenom
- Admin UKK
- Berita
TENOM (Feb 2): The Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) will expedite the compensation process and price negotiations involving Calvary Charismatic Church Tenom.
The church is affected by a flood mitigation project in the Tenom area.
Agriculture, Fisheries, and Food Industry Minister Datuk Jamawi Jaafar said the matter needs serious attention to ensure that the welfare of the church and its congregation continue to be safeguarded.
“I have visited the Calvary Charismatic Church Tenom site, which is located along the alignment of the flood mitigation embankment currently being constructed and to be constructed by contractors,” said the Melalap assemblyman.
“The church management has requested that the compensation process and price negotiations be expedited and that the offer be made at a more reasonable rate in line with current market value.”
Jamawi said based on information received, government valuers have already assessed the affected area, but the church is of the view that the value offered remains insufficient.
“In this regard, the church has appointed a private valuer, and I hope that the valuation report can be submitted promptly so that the price negotiations can be finalised in the best possible manner,” he said.
He explained that the finalisation of compensation negotiations is crucial to enable the church to plan its relocation and to secure a new site.
Jamawi also thanked the Calvary Charismatic Church Tenom management for their cooperation throughout the implementation of the project.
On the possibility of retaining the existing site, he said the land in question had been gazetted in 2022 for the flood mitigation project.
“I have been informed by the DID as well as by the church itself that this land has been gazetted.
“Should there be an intention to revoke or amend the gazettement, the process would be lengthy and would need to be brought before the State Legislative Assembly, in addition to involving several other procedures,” he said.
As such, he said the church is also unwilling to bear prolonged uncertainty.
“Therefore, their main request is that the compensation rate offered be reasonable and in line with current values to enable them to acquire a new building,” he said.
Jamawi stressed that the state government is committed to ensuring the implementation of public development projects does not disrupt social harmony or infringe upon the rights of any party.
“We want development to proceed smoothly, while at the same time ensuring that the welfare of the people and religious institutions continues to be protected,” he said.
