KUCHING (Aug 10): The Padawan Municipal Council (MPP) team has chopped down 124 withered trees while its contractors have cleared an average of 204 trees every month since January this year.
MPP chairman Tan Kai said his team had also trimmed and maintained 161 trees, and its contractors had trimmed 944 trees.
“In the past seven months, MPP, together with our contractors has also jointly cut down and trimmed 473 wild and unregistered trees, including coconut trees,” he said during a site inspection yesterday.
Tan said MPP is closely monitoring all the trees within its jurisdiction and will carry out the necessary tasks of either removing or trimming them regularly.
He said this aligns with the council’s mission to minimise risks and uphold public safety, particularly in light of the dangers posed by extreme weather these days.
During the inspection, the MPP chairman made sure that the contractor’s workers comply with the standard operating procedures in delivering their work.
Tan said the council will keep up its efforts to ensure that all the trees are well-maintained to prevent any untoward incidents.
“Inspection is just part of the monitoring job, and MPP will continue to assess the trees in MPP areas to make sure that they are able to sustain heavy rains and strong winds,” he added.
SIBU (Aug 10) The Sibu Municipal Council (SMC) is working to contain the spread of an underground fire at the closed Seng Ling dumpsite here, said its chairman Clarence Ting.
He confirmed that the fire has not yet been extinguished.
“Will continue to fight the underground fire till it is over. Now (we are) only containing the spread,” he told The Borneo Post today when asked if the fire had been extinguished.
On Friday, a check by The Borneo Post at the site found thick smoke billowing from the affected area.
Ting had earlier said the dumpsite has been burning since July 30.
“This dump site has been closed since 2010 for household waste and the land has been handed back to the Land and Survey Department,” he said then.
He added SMC was working with Natural Resources and Environment Board (NREB) to permanently close the dumpsite and works should start by the end of the year.
KUCHING (Aug 10): Heavy rain and thunderstorms have been forecasted in several parts of Sarawak this afternoon until 6pm.
The Malaysian Meteorological Department (MetMalaysia), in an update, said the weather would affect Kuching (Bau and Kuching), Serian, Samarahan (Samarahan and Asajaya), Sibu (Kanowit and Selangau), Mukah (Dalat and Mukah), Kapit (Song), Miri (Telang Usan) and Limbang.
Strong winds were reported earlier this afternoon, followed by heavy rain that caused flash floods in several areas in Kuching.
A video shared by Facebook user ‘Bella Hayati’ showed several penambang boats colliding due to the strong winds.
It is believed the video was taken while she was walking on the Darul Hana Bridge on her way to work.
This was followed by another bout of heavy rain, during which Bella recorded a second video showing downpours along the Kuching Waterfront.
MADRID: Lebih 1,000 orang dipindahkan pada Ahad di bahagian barat laut Sepanyol apabila kebakaran hutan merebak, dipacu oleh suhu yang melampau dan angin kencang, menurut pihak berkuasa.
Sekitar 400 orang dipindahkan dari dalam dan sekitar bandar Carucedo, manakala 700 lagi dari beberapa pekan berhampiran Tapak Warisan Dunia UNESCO Las Médulas iaitu kawasan bekas lombong emas Rom yang terkenal dengan landskap merah yang unik.
Ketua kerajaan wilayah Castile dan Leon, Alfonso Mañueco, berkata pakar percaya beberapa kebakaran tersebut berpunca daripada perbuatan khianat.
“Kami tidak akan berkompromi dengan mereka yang melakukan serangan terhadap nyawa, keselamatan orang awam, serta warisan sejarah dan alam semula jadi kami,” tulisnya di X.
Unit Kecemasan Tentera Sepanyol (UME) telah mengerahkan hampir 60 anggota tentera dan 20 kenderaan ke kawasan terbabit, menyertai operasi besar-besaran memadam kebakaran yang turut melibatkan pesawat dan jentolak bagi mewujudkan garisan pemutus api (firebreaks).
Pasukan bomba berkata, suhu panas terik, kelembapan udara yang rendah dan angin kuat yang sering berubah arah menyukarkan usaha mereka memadamkan kebakaran.
Kebakaran hutan turut menjejaskan kawasan utara Galicia dan Navarre ketika Sepanyol sedang mengalami gelombang haba yang kini memasuki minggu kedua, dengan suhu mencecah hampir 40 darjah Celsius di banyak kawasan.
Haba melampau ini dijangka berterusan sekurang-kurangnya sehingga Khamis. Pihak berkuasa perlindungan awam telah mengeluarkan amaran risiko kebakaran hutan tinggi hingga melampau di sebahagian besar negara.
Perdana Menteri Sepanyol, Pedro Sanchez, menulis di X bahawa beliau sedang “memantau rapat kebakaran hutan” dan mengucapkan terima kasih kepada pasukan kecemasan “atas usaha mereka yang tidak mengenal penat lelah.”
ISTANBUL: Gempa bumi 6.1 magnitud melanda barat Turkiye lewat Ahad, lapor Anadolu Ajansi.
Agensi Pengurusan Bencana dan Kecemasan (AFAD) memaklumkan gempa berpusat di daerah Sindirgi, wilayah Balikesir dan gegaran dikesan pada kedalaman 11 kilometer.
Menteri Dalam Negeri Ali Yerlikaya berkata seorang lelaki berusia 81 tahun meninggal dunia selepas diselamatkan dari bangunan yang runtuh.
Seramai 29 lagi mangsa cedera turut diselamatkan dan tiada yang berada dalam keadaan kritikal.
Penilaian awal menunjukkan 16 bangunan di 68 kejiranan runtuh akibat gempa dan gegaran susulan.
Presiden Turkiye Recep Tayyip Erdogan menyampaikan ucapan takziah kepada semua yang terjejas, sambil menegaskan beliau akan memantau rapat perkembangan selepas bencana itu. – BERNAMA-ANADOLU
